What gives it its taste and how to recognise it
- appropriate choice of variety to suit the soil and climate
- exposure to sunlight
- sugar content of above 13° Brix
- acidity between 10 and 13 mEq/100 cc inclusive
- sugar/acidity balance
- harvested at the right degree of ripeness
- even colouring with bloom present
- fresh-looking stalk
- slightly soft to the touch.
Nutritional and nutraceutical value
- energy content: 35Kcal/100g;
- rich in: potassium, vitamin A, diphenylisatin (stimulates bowel movement), minerals and roughage;
- benefits: helps regulate cholesterol, blood sugar levels and blood pressure; remineralises and energises; helps protect the skin and body from ageing.
Varieties and periods of availability