What gives it its taste and how to recognise it
- appropriate choice of variety to suit the soil and climate
- acidic soil (pH of around 5)
- humid summer with high temperatures
- repeated pruning for reflowering varieties
- sugar content of above 12° Brix
- shiny black in colour.
Nutritional and nutraceutical value
- energy content: 36 Kcal/100g;
- rich in: potassium, calcium, magnesium, vitamin A, beta-carotene, folic Acid, omega 3 and omega 6;
- benefits: helps prevent cardiovascular diseases, improves bowel function; purifies, kills bacteria and detoxifies.
Varieties and periods of availability